Simple case: £1,750 to £4,500 plus VAT – typically this is for a case that is resolved by negotiations and an agreement to settle the claims, known as a Settlement Agreement, is entered into before formal proceedings to the Employment Tribunal are needed.
Medium complexity case: £4,000-£10,000 plus VAT – typically this occurs when the simple option above does resolve matters and proceedings are necessary either to bring or resist a claim before the Employment Tribunal. Dealing with the Standard Directions of an Employment Tribunal would be included in this fee estimate.
High complexity case: £7,500 -£12,000 plus VAT – typically this occurs when one of the claims is linked to further claims, such as discrimination claims, medical or other expert reports are necessary or additional hearings to deal with disclosure or pre-hearing legal issues are necessary.
Historically the breakdown of our cases would be approximately a 50/30/20 percentage between simple, medium and high complexity. The fee range reflects our hourly rate of £300 per hour plus VAT. We are always happy to discuss fixed fees for each stage to allow you to control your costs.
Early communication from us helps resolve matters so we encourage this. The sooner you instruct us the more likely you are to benefit from our expertise.
In our first review of your matter, we will outline which category of case (simple, medium or high complexity) it falls into.
Factors that could make a case more complex:
– If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim –
– Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person –
– Making or defending a costs application
Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties) –
– The number of witnesses and documents –
– If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim, e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer –
– Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal –
There will be an additional charge for attending a Tribunal Hearing of £2,000 per day plus VAT. Generally, we would allow 1-2 days depending on the complexity of your case.